The Sipat Lawin Ensemble (SLE) is an edge-work, site-specific, independent performance company composed of theater artists engaged in devising relevant new works. Changing the landscape of theater in the Philippines, the group aims to develop a contemporary community theater experience shared among … Continue reading
KARNABAL: A DEF. DEFYING FESTIVAL
Works Beyond Definitions
“Def.” stands for “definition”, best explaining the mix of programmed performances as transgressing norms and going beyond definitions of art and what it should be.
Karnabal aims to highlight works on the edge, in between the lines, dynamic, bold, liminal, death- and depth-defying; and to explore new modes of production and performance-making. It serves as a shared avenue for companies and solo artists to freely test new works and/or develop existing ones, as well as share and generate new audiences for the Philippine performance scene.
Karnabal is set to take flight on November 17 (Sun), 20-24 (Wed-Sun) within Intramuros. Multiple venues will be used to simultaneously house performances, and functions, indoors and outdoors, all throughout the duration of the festival. Events fall under three different types of platforms:
• The Main Performance Platform, which features the original works of invited independent companies and solo artists, programmed throughout the duration of the festival. As of now, participants include the Sipat Lawin Ensemble, Kolab Co., Transitopia – Contemporary Dance Commune, Shaharazade Theater Company, Eisa Jocson, Ea Torrado, Destiyero Commune, Anino Shadowplay Collective and Daniel Darwin.
• The “Tsubibo” Open Platform, which features programmed performances from individuals and companies from different fields who want to test their works. This platform is offered on the last two days of the festival, November 23 and 24.
• Gatherings involves all the festival’s community offerings – workshops, talks, forums, panel discussions, get-together functions curated by the festival team engaging artists from different media.
For more information on the participating artists, check the Karnabal Festival Facebook page.
- WEEKENDS WITH SIPAT – OCTOBER EDITION
- WEEKENDS WITH SIPAT- SEPTEMBER EDITION
- LOVE: This is Not Yet a Musical
- WEEKENDS WITH SIPAT – JULY EDITION
- Battalia: Day 1 Notes
- Director’s Notes on Haring +UBU-L
- Posible. – JK Anicoche’s note on Strange Pilgrims: Rizal + 150 Reverse Cosplay Parade Edition
- Season Apocalypse
- Hi everyone! We’re still preparing for the show.